Saturday, May 30, 2009

Show, Don't Tell

I finished two books in the last month that I had been reading simultaneously, Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and Killing Yourself to Live by Chuck Klosterman. They have completely different plots from each other, but have a similar theme. Both authors take the reader through an emotional and physical journey. One brought me through Italy, India and Bali while the other took me on a road trip across the US. I loved them both and learned from each of their experiences.

I also got the edits back from my editor for my novel manuscript this week. She had some good suggestions including working on a writing technique that I'm sure now will take me years to master, "Show, don't tell." I tend to focus more on setting and creating dialogue than describing the mannerisms of characters. For now, I am studying the techniques of writing the bones and making many revisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment